Sunday, December 22, 2013

Project 0 - My own wireless Lego Power Functions Hub

I bought a Lego Crawler and wanted to connect it to my phone, tablet and PC. Now Lego has deleted my Cuusoo entry because It doesn't meet the new Cuusoo guidelines.


So I wondered if I could create my own Wireless Lego PF HUB. Three months ago I had no programming nor any electrical experience. So forgive for inefficient code and clumsy electric schematics.

I have 3 wishes for the Hub:

  • it has to be Wireless and able to connect to the internet
  • it as to small enough to fit into most models
  • it has to be affordable and even better be cheap.
  • it has to be Open Source. Front end and back end.
  • While searching the web for a cheap Arduino Wifi shield I bumped into the Electric Imp (or Impee).


    The Electric Imp Website

    The Imp is great. It is small, cheap and wireless!.
    During my searches around the net I bumped into the Electic Imp. I use this instead of my beloved Arduino now.

    PROS
  • pretty small
  • cheap
  • open source for the front end as well as the back end
  • control up to 8 motors separately
  • Use as many tablets, Iphones and Desktops as you want at the same time
  • use one Imp to control multiple models. For instance if you have 3 models. 3 people can use there smartphone to control their models individually. The hub doesn't have to be inside a model.

  • CONS
  • not a lego original part
  • still uses the chunky ir receivers
  • You need a internet connection and Wifi router.
  • It took me some time but I managed to get the Imp + IR Lego Reciever to work.
    See my next project for the schematic and the code.

    Project 1 - Lego IR transmitter with Electric Imp

    No comments :

    Post a Comment